June Productivity Newsletter 2019
Sales Tip: Sandler Rule #13
No Mind Reading
Can’t sum this one up better than David Mattson on page 62 of The Sandler Rules:
- Don’t assume facts not in evidence.
- Don’t misread between the lines.
- Ask what the prospect means.
Man oh man I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten this rule wrong! And it’s so embarrassing and requires a lot of back-peddling to even remotely salvage a sale.
Have you heard the phrase, “The enemy of relationships is unmet expectations“? Just remember, you can’t meet an expectation if you don’t know what it is. Don’t assume. Ask. Rephrase back. Ask again. Always take time to get clear.
Sales Tip: Sandler Rule #14
A Prospect Who Is Listening Is No Prospect At All
STOP! Read that again.
Did you catch it? They are NOT a prospect! Why not? NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOU. You know this is true. All your prospect cares about is him/herself! You need to find a way to get THEM talking. And how do you do this?
- Ask thought-provoking questions, and
- Listen to their answers, and
- Keep asking questions!
Selling DOES NOT equal telling. Selling EQUALS Engagement!
Culture Tip: Carnegie Principle #7
Be A Good Listener; Encourage Others To Talk About Themselves.
Phenomenal Leaders have mastered the art of LISTENING. It may very well be the hardest skill for a leader to master. You see, we all have all the answers. And we know it! Therefore we all are quick to speak, especially over other people. Effective leadership cannot occur this way! You and I both must develop our listening skills, allowing our team to talk about their victories, their challenges, their concerns, their hopes and dreams. It is in these things that we build the bonds of trust and loyalty.
Not sure how to begin? Start with these questions:
- What do you love/enjoy most about the work you do?
- What was the most meaningful/impacting experience of your work in the last week or two?
- If you had a magic wand and could change 1 aspect of our company, what would you change?
- What do you find most challenging presently in the work you’re doing?
- How can I better support/help you this week?
The Sandler Rules, David Mattson
How To Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie